January 10, 2017
Dear Member Organization Presidents and Head Coaches,
Happy New Year! I hope that 2017 is off to a good start for you. I also hope that you and members of your organization will join us for the Cleveland Rowing Foundation’s Annual Meeting this Saturday (January 14) at the Flat Iron Cafe. The meeting begins at 10 a.m.
We’ll have several positions on the foundation board to fill, but also plenty of important news to discuss. Here’s a taste of what’s been happening the past few weeks and what lies just ahead:
- During the last week in December, we closed on the purchase of the 1.5 acre plot that CRF has been leasing from the Norfolk Southern since we moved to Rivergate at the end of 2010. That means the entire park is now owned by either the foundation or Cleveland Metroparks and will remain dedicated to recreation and public access. This deal came about after many months of difficult negotiations with the railroad, and was only possible because careful fiscal management had positioned the foundation to take on new debt while continuing to operate and improve our campus.
- Speaking of improvements, as I noted last month, the new locker rooms are finished, and they look great. We met the $20,000 challenge grant by the end of December, have now raised roughly $165,000 and are working toward the last $95,000 we need to cover the project’s costs.
- The new locker rooms will mean added expenses for supplies, maintenance and utilities. That’s why we have decided to charge an annual fee of $60 for the use of a locker. But we also will keep approximately 20 lockers in each room open for daily first come, first served use. Additional information regarding locker rental will be posted inside the boathouse and communicated to member organizations in the coming month. If you have any questions, please contact Kirk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The erg room has been reconfigured and new machines added – we now have 45 ergs. We’re also continuing to fill the exercise area inside the erg room – gently used weights or workout machines are welcome.
- We are holding a coaching clinic on Saturday, January 21. The guest speaker will be Jim Granger, head rowing coach at the Florida Institute of Technology. Please urge all of your coaches to attend, and also encourage anyone who has thought – or should be thinking – about becoming a coach to join us. More information can be found on the CRF website and social media sites.
- We’re also planning to host a USRowing Level II clinic this winter. Please keep an eye out for the announcement of date and details.
- Finally, we are nearing an agreement to welcome a kayaking organization to the Boathouse. This will contribute to safety on the river, enable us to maximize our assets and underscore Rivergate’s status as the hub for active recreation on the Cuyahoga.
As I said, it’s been a busy month, and it’s going to be an exciting year. Please spread the word to your members, and please join us this Saturday for CRF’s Annual Meeting.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me, Kirk or any member of the CRF Board.
CRF Board Chair